Pubs in the Bexley Borough

In 1995 Jim Packer (former Chairman of the Bexley Historical Society) wrote a book called 'Bexley Pubs' (now out of print), telling the story of every pub in the borough existing at that time (numbering 94). It was followed in 2005 by 'Lost Pubs of Bexley' - those pubs created after 1830 (Beerhouse Act) and since closed. He is still working on the third volume covering those pubs established before 1830 and since closed.

 

Pubs have been an enduring feature of our communities, but they are seeing difficult times at the moment, with many closing down. Listed below are the 1995 pubs. Those shown in red are the ones we have lost (23 out of 94). On a more optimistic note, there have been some new pubs (shown below in blue). Most recently, micropubs are proving popular. The Door Hinge in Welling was voted Bexley CAMRA Pub of the Year for 2014. The Penny Farthing in Crayford opened on 11 September 2014 and The Broken Drum in Blackfen opened in April 2015.

 

Bexley: Black Horse, Black Prince, Coach & Horses, The George, Kings Head, Millers Arms, Railway Tavern, Rising Sun.

 

Bexleyheath, Upton and Barnehurst: Bricklayers Arms, Coach House, Crook Log, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl Haig, Golden Lion, Jolly Millers, Kings Arms, Bar 2 (formerly Polo Bar; previously Drayman and Jolly Drayman, originally Upton Hotel), Prince Albert, Red Barn, Robin Hood, The Rose, Royal Oak, Royal Standard, Travellers Home, Volunteer , William Camden, Woodman, Wrong ‘Un, The Yacht. New: Furze Wren.

 

Blackfen, Blendon and Bridgen: Blue Anchor, Jolly Fenman, Three Blackbirds, The Woodman (now George Staples). New: The Broken Drum.

 

Crayford, Northend and Slade Green: Bear and Ragged Staff, The Boundary, Corner Pin, Crayford Arms, Duke of Wellington (now Wellington), Dukes Head, The Harrow, Jolly Farmers, Lord Raglan, One Bell, Railway Tavern, Royal Charlotte, White Swan. New: The Penny Farthing.

 

Erith: Cross Keys, Nordenfelt, Royal Alfred, Running Horses, The Ship, Trafalgar, White Hart.

 

Belvedere, Abbey Wood and Thamesmead: Barge Pole, Belvedere Hotel, Belvoir Tavern, Chequers, Eardley Arms, Fox, Halfway House, Harrow, Leather Bottle, Prince Alfred, Prince of Wales, Queens Head, Royal Standard, Victoria. New: The Morgan.

 

Northumberland Heath: Brewers Arms, Duchess of Kent, Duke of Northumberland, Great Harry, The Pheasant, Royal Oak.

 

Sidcup and the Crays: The Albany, The Alma, Ye Olde Black Horse, Black Horse, Charcoal Burner, Horse and Groom, Iron Horse (at one time Metro Bar), Red Lion, Seven Stars, White Cross. New: Tailor's Chalk, The Portrait, The Hackney Carriage, The Hopper's Hut.

 

East Wickham and Welling: Duchess of Edinburgh, Fanny on the Hill, Foresters Arms, Glenmore Arms, Green Man, Guy Earl of Warwick, Lord Kitchener, Moon & Sixpence, Nags Head, Plough & Harrow, Rose and Crown, We Anchor in Hope. New: New Cross Turnpike, The Door Hinge.

Meetings

Meetings are held at the hall of St John Fisher RC Church, Thanet Road, Bexley

Contact us

For more information about Bexley Historical Society, contact us

Follow us

Print Print | Sitemap
© bexleyhistoricalsociety